Friday, July 25, 2014

Virus shrimus

Have you ever felt like one of those crazy moms that dreams up some rare illness when your child acts sick? Yea, I'm usually not. Today however I was between Elle having West Nile or some crazy side effect from a spider bite. 

We go to the pediatrician a lot with three kids. Everyone's vaccines are on a different schedule and sicknesses don't always coordinate. Elle had an ear infection every month for eight months until we finally got tubes (two weeks before having Bentley Claire). So you do the math, 8 months of ear appointments plus 2 week checkup for BC and then 8 week appointment for shots. That equates to a lot of doctor time. And that's not even including Addie. 
Before Elle's tube surgery

Back to being a crazy mom. I mentioned the other day that Elle got a spider bite when the landscaper was here. Never google 'spider bites on children.' You don't want to see that. Trust me. Yesterday was day three of the bite and she started running fever. According to Google, you should panic if they run fever on the third day. This morning she was ok. No fever and seemed to be feeling fine. She went to school for about 2 1/2 hours while Addie was at ballet. When I went in to pick her up she looked like she had been swimming. She was drenched in sweat and was clearly feeling bad. So I called the doctor. 

He's super laid back and has 4 kids so I always feel at ease when we go. Her arm could be falling off and he would be like "Oh, that's an easy fix. We will just patch that right up." So he said it's probably not West Nile (you crazy lady), her spider bite looks fine, strep test came back negative, it's just a virus. Alternate Motrin and Tylenol. Ok, what a relief, viruses are no big deal right. Oh wait...viruses are miserable. 

Now I have a hot-as-a-firecracker child in my lap that will only stop crying if I hold her, I'm trying to keep from breathing in her sick air and keep the other two from getting this all at the same time. 

Happy Friday everyone. 




No comments:

Post a Comment