Thursday, July 24, 2014

Guilty mom

Yesterday morning was a far cry from normal (pardon the pun) when I dropped Elle off. I had already dropped Addie off at ballet camp so it was just me, Elle and Bentley Claire. As we walked down the hall her little lip started to quiver and I knew a meltdown was coming. She was silent until the door opened then the flood works started. She was reaching for me and crying mommy. She never does that. 

It was heartbreaking. Truly heartbreaking.

I'm sure she was fine by the time I made it to the car but I have never felt so guilty. I accidentally left my phone at home so I had no one to tell me she was going to be fine. I knew it, but just needed someone else to say it too. 

I was making a two hour trip to meet some friends in Oxford to eat dinner and catch up so Andrew was picking her up after nap. Because I haven't seen one of their new babies and she hasn't seen Bentley Claire, I brought BC and Addie tagged along after ballet camp. Post drop-off, I contemplated going back to get her but I knew it would complicate the day. 

So why did I leave Elle? She has to have a nap in order to function and I wasn't sure that would happen. She would not have enjoyed being strapped in the carseat and stroller all day. It was surface of the sun hot and she would have been miserable. I felt like that was plenty of reasons. 

Other than the guilt hanging over my head, we had a great time meeting baby C for the first time, doing a little bit of shopping, catching up with super cool friends, and visiting with the uncles for a little while. 


Future generation minus a few

Addie and Baby C
Visiting the uncles
New fave restaurant on the square is Oxford Grillehouse. It's where Rooster's used to be. Upscale but not unreasonable. The creamed spinach is delish.

I mastered pumping (TMI again, omg I promise I will stop) in the car a long time ago so that came in handy yesterday. Also, Addie has learned to hold BC's bottle so that's a HUGE help. She's only four but she is available to babysit anytime. (Just kidding) Out of guilt I bought Elle several things. That's normal right? 

One pajama change, diaper change, and bottle feeding later we got on the road again and made it home around 10:45. We are anything but dull I can assure you.

No comments:

Post a Comment