Monday, June 30, 2014

Road trips

There is nothing better to me than a long road trip with good music. I have always loved to drive. Not riding; I have to be behind the wheel with control of my spotify playlists. I don't need anyone to keep me company and I don't need a plan. All I need is an hour notice to pack and I'm ready to go. 

Throw in an air-drum playing husband and three movie-loving kids and my road trip dynamic changes. My spotify gets hijacked and I find myself listening (and reciting every word) to a Disney movie. Again. It doesn't make me love road trips any less but it does make me come up with a plan.

A couple of years ago I would roll my eyes at the thought of planning a vacation. Who wants to schedule every minute of their vacation?! With two kids that need to nap, a baby that eats every four hours, and a pumping mama; I do! It makes the trip so much more enjoyable when everyone is rested and we don't sit around saying, "Well, what do you want to do next? I don't know, what do you want to do?" Because that's what happens with us. 

Every summer we go somewhere. It doesn't have to be far away or fancy, we are just trying to make fun memories as a family. We've been to Seattle with Addie (when she was 3 months old), Colorado, Florida and Chattanooga so far on our little summer adventures. We've planned a trip for this summer so get ready for those stories. 

Elle has a nasty habit of pulling Addie's hair if she gets too close to her in the car. Of course Addie has to pass Elle's car seat everytime she gets in and out so she's an easy target. I think Elle likes the dramatic reaction that she gets from Addie. She usually makes this crazy screaming sound but if she cries Elle (sometimes) feels bad because she knows that she pulled it too hard. 

You know when your buckle gets too tight and you try to loosen it but it just gets tighter? This happens to Addie often. She gets frustrated and no one can get to her to help because she is in the very back. A jammed seatbelt does not fall into the emergency category so she has to quickly figure it out. 

Bentley Claire only chimes in if her paci falls out or if she's hungry. Babies are the best travelers. The interesting part of a long road trip with diaper wearing babies is where to change them. I always carve out a little space in the car to avoid getting some rare disease from a gas station changing table. 

We will be one of the minivans that's so crammed full of stuff that when those sliding doors open, things fall out. And yes, it will ruin the next hour of the trip if something precious gets left next to the gas pump in the middle of nowhere! 


2 comments:

  1. Gas station changing tables! ICK!! I'm with you -- diapering happens in the car.

    ReplyDelete