Saturday, October 1, 2011

This Beautiful Saturday

(Most of) Today has been one of those days that I want to treasure. Andrew had to go to the ribbon cutting of the renovated Kroger this morning so Addie and I decorated the driveway in chalk with notes for Daddy. (Side note about the Kroger...it's now the largest Kroger in the country. It's a big deal.) When he got home, the family loaded up and went to A Day in the Country. If you aren't familiar, it's a huge event that Chapel of the Cross, a historic Episcopal church in Madison, puts on each year. There are tents full of hand-made crafts, children's clothing, great food, and funky finds. It was so nice to stroll around and look at all of the cool crafts for sale. What a perfect day for that!

On the way home, we made a pit stop at the Farmer's Market to get some gourds (of course!), fresh fruits, veggies AND boiled peanuts. The peanuts were delicious! We spread a blanket out in the front yard and ate every single one. Which leads to my other discovery and why I said "most of" at the beginning of the post.

After eating several boiled peanuts on our beautiful blanket in the sun, Addie threw up! SO glad we were in the front yard. She has eaten peanuts several times and we've never had an issue. WELL...long story short, her face has been broken out a little bit this week. I noticed a couple of bumps Thursday and I just thought it was just because I washed her clothes with regular Tide because I normally use Tide Free. I re-washed everything yesterday but she still had a couple of bumps today.

Wheels in my head starting turning when she threw up!!! She didn't sleep well Thursday night or Friday night which means I didn't sleep well either. I checked her hands and feet...and found 3 bumps on the bottom of her foot! Mom + Teacher + No medical degree (but close enough) = Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease. (They should leave off the word disease...it sounds so permanent) If you don't know about this it's kind of like the chicken pox. It is very common and contagious among 3 year or younger children. Normally, it spreads through daycares, schools, etc. I have NO IDEA where Addie got it since she isn't in daycare and hasn't been in a nursery in the past month. They have sores, or bumps, in or around their mouth, on their hands, and on their feet. It lasts about a week and then goes away. They might run fever, vomit, and the sores can be painful. Bless her heart!! It caught me so off-guard tonight because I can't figure out where she would have been exposed to it.

Knock on wood, the only allergy she has is an orange allergy. My brother has the same allergy so it's not weird to us. Andrew and I don't have allergies and pray that we don't have children that are allergic to everything under the sun. For a brief second tonight, I was having a panic attack about a possible peanut allergy. Thank goodness that's not what it is. Whew! I think I can handle a week of HFMD. I guess we will just hang out around the house for a week.

 Love some sidewalk chalk...except when the piece gets so small that you scrape your finger, ha
 She loved carrying the bucket around
 I love this picture!
Taking the chalk out and putting it back in...so fun

No comments:

Post a Comment