Sunday, September 21, 2014

Letters don't define you

Today is Bid Day at Ole Miss. It's one of the most exciting days for some and most traumatic for others. I hate the process. I really do. There is a whole bunch of girl drama that ensues. My philosophy has always been to avoid drama at all costs. Seriously. Maybe that's a little extreme because you will encounter disagreements along the way. Most of the time, the stuff that comes up is petty. It's hard not to get your feelings hurt but look at it as their loss if they don't take you. You have a lot to offer somewhere else.

A friend sent me a post earlier that basically was a reminder to set your eyes on things eternal. The only thing that matters is what God we serve. I thought that was so good for young girls to hear. Your bid card doesn't define you.

This is the same advice that I will give to my girls. 5 things:

1. Be genuine. Even if others aren't. Be yourself.

2. Your reputation is everything. It's hard to reverse it once the damage is done. Live your life for one goal. To point others to Christ. Will you mess up sometimes? Absolutely.

3. Be comfortable in your own skin. Confidence is important.

4. Grades and community service are VERY important. You will not be considered if you don't maintain them.

5. Don't pre-judge. Just because someone doesn't make a good first impression, try to get to know them anyway. I don't make a good first impression. I know this about myself. I'm probably not warm and fuzzy and bubbly the first time I meet someone. That's not my personality. It takes me a while to warm up. Give them some time but don't give up on them.

I didn't do what my mom did. I chose my own path. We joke about it but I am glad I branched out. I made my best friends through my sorority and was given so many opportunities through it. Sending up prayers for all of those involved in Bid Day today!

No comments:

Post a Comment